Monday, November 15, 2010

America Recycles Day: 5 Easy Things You Can Do Today


Happy America Recycles Day! How will you be celebrating? Here are five easy things to get you started:

1. Attend an event. Here are a few in Northwest Ohio:

Green Hoops
Bowling Green State University
Nov. 15, 2010
8 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.
Description: Recycled items from the tailgate areas and stadium will be weighed.

Disney Store 2010 Holiday Friends & Family Event
Westfield Franklin Park Disney Store, 5001 Monroe Street, Toledo
Nov. 15, 2010
Description: Donate t-shirts and receive 25% off your purchase when you bring in the Friends & Family coupon. The collected t-shirts will be recycled into paper. Visit http://www.Disney.com/projectgreen for more information. (I participated in this one and was able to get a head start on Christmas shopping.)

Pharmaceutical Collection
Lucas County Solid Waste District, 1011 Matzinger Rd., Toledo
Nov. 15, 2010
9 a.m. - noon
Description: Call 419-213-2230 for details or visit http://www.co.lucas.oh.us

2. Take the pledge like I did and encourage your family to do the same.

3. Learn about TerraCycle. My daughter receives a prize at school every time she brings in ten Capri Sun pouches and her school makes money from TerraCycle, who then turns the donated trash into items like lunchboxes, bookbags, fences and kites.

4. Pick another challenge to "ramp up your recycling." I've done curbside recycling for years, but really need to work on disposing batteries properly, so this is how I'll be ramping up my recycling. I would also like to gather together all of the old electronics in my home to either donate or recycle. Read CNET's Electronics recycling: Dealing with skeletons in the closet for more information about getting rid of your e-waste.

5. Remember to reduce and reuse. This should be an easy one, but if you need a refresher course, read tips on how to reduce and how to reuse. I might as well throw in how to recycle too. Last Christmas, I turned boxes into a children's couch (see the middle photo on the scrapbook layout above) and then used contact paper to cover the stack of boxes. My girls still use this mini sofa at playtime. I've also turned a kitty litter storage container into scrapbook storage. (I have five more storage containers just waiting to be decorated.)

These are all super simple things to do on America Recycles Day and I hope you'll join me by taking a little portion of your day to recycle and then let the world know what you did today...share on Twitter, Facebook or leave a comment below.

Resources:

Thanks for stopping by Snap.Scrap.Blog.Tweet!

You may also be interested in:


Posted by Picasa