Monday, April 12, 2010

Green scrapbooking & an eco-friendly mini-scrapbook

Eco-friendly scrapbooking has been on my mind for a long time. My goal is to one day create a completely green scrapbook and the search for supplies and information has already begun.

Here is my first eco-friendly scrapbook:



As I was planning a MemoryWorks scrapbook party, I wanted to design something that would help me with my presentation and ended up creating a mini-album using old product catalogs and paper scraps. I had catalogs from 2007-2009 that were still in great condition and really wanted to use them since they were too nice to just throw into a recycling bin. Other items on hand were a naked album and box that had been in a storage cabinet, along with a container of decoupage. So the tearing and cutting enthusiastically began.

Within the mini-album, I included the basics about MemoryWorks so I could easily remember what I needed to during the party. Each page has a simple design with handmade flowers. I cut out square scrapbook layout examples to make the flower embellishments, added buttons, fiber and small strips of paper from the catalog.

After I finished the mini-book, I used the leftover catalog pieces to decoupage a box for album storage. What a fun project! Then, I tweeted: "I decoupaged... and I liked it."

Project Supplies: Recycled items include MemoryWorks Catalogs, paper scraps, leftover fibers, button. Other items used were decoupage, naked album and box, adhesive, Tim Holtz/Ranger Distress Ink.

This project is great for scrapbook consultants since they can reuse old catalogs in a creative way and still share examples of products from the past.

In addition to my decoupaged creation, my oldest daughter wanted to get in on the decoupaging action. Below is the collage she made using my MemoryWorks catalog leftovers:


Since we are on the subject of recycling and catalogs...

When I was going through a large pile of magazines, mail and other paper stuff to recycle, I found an article I printed-off last summer by Nancy Nally of ScrapbookUpdate.com about green scrapbooking: What Does “Green” Mean To Scrapbooking?

What I learned: Companies are going green (Tinkering Ink, Cosmo Cricket, Piggy Tales, Die Cuts With A View (DCWV), K & Co.)

With Earth Day right around the corner, my going green mission was renewed and my search continued.

During a recent trip to JoAnn's, I came across the Green Stack by DCWV and boy, I was excited and double-excited since it was on sale. Shortly after returning home from this shopping trip, I made my first layout using 70% recycled cardstock.

Then I did a Google Search for green scrapbooking and these were the top eight results:

1. How to Go Green with Scrapbooking

2. How to Find Green Scrapbooking Supplies

3. Green Scrapbooking: Paint Chips

4. Crafting a Green...Scrapbook?

5. Blog Action Day: the environment

6. Easy Being Green

7. Piggy Tales Introduces Green Scrapbooking

8. Eco Friendly or “Green” Scrapbooking

What I learned:
  • Crafting A Green World is a great place for eco-friendly DIY craft projects.
  • "Converting to recycled paper will save more than 100 trees a year, [Debbie Juden, Piggy Tales CEO] Juden said." via TRASHformations blog.
  • Creatively Green http://www.creatively-green.com/index.html is the place to shop for eco-friendly craft supplies.
After typing in a variety of other eco-friendly combinations, I found the NatureMoms blog and her Scrapping Green post to be full of great tips for greener living. I highly recommend checking this blog if you want to learn more about making better choices for your family.

So there you have it! Now you know what I know about green scrapbooking, eco-friendly scrapbooking, eco-scrapbooking, whatever...it's good.