Tuesday, April 20, 2010

On a search for eco-friendly adhesive

Walking through a craft store, searching for eco-friendly glue was not a fast and easy task. My goal was to find scrapbooking adhesive that was safe for both the environment and photographs. What I found was Amazing ECOGLUE: The Earth Friendly Power Glue.


I grabbed the bottle and read the packaging. Nowhere did I see anything about the product being acid-free, which left me unsure if this "Amazing" glue could be used for scrapbooking. I bought it anyway since it was non-toxic, safe for kids and "bonds like an industrial adhesive." If I couldn't use it for scrapbooking, this 2 fl. oz. bottle of glue would still be useful for other projects like fixing a broken hand-carved Willow Tree sculpture.


The white ECOGLUE reminded me of the same stuff my seven-year-old uses for her craft projects. I was surprised by how quickly it bonded with the broken wood pieces. The glue dried clearly and the baby was back in daddy's arms.


Clearly, this ECOGLUE project was a success. It works on wood and according to ecoglue.com, the craft glue also works on stone, metal, ceramic, glass, Styrofoam and more. Eclectic Products offers a variety of environmentally safe glues for general crafts to extreme and industrial projects. Visit www.eclecticproducts.com for more information.

After finishing my project, I contacted Eclectic Products to find out if ECOGLUE for crafts was safe for scrapbooking. The customer service representative said that the product was acid-free. Even though ECOGLUE can be used for paper-crafting, I'm not sure if I would use it on photographs. Maybe another experiment is in order...